Benvenuto to the Hampton Roads Branch, Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club. If you appreciate the timeless design and exciting performance of Italian sports cars - then you are one of us! Come and join 'La Famiglia Alfa Romeo da Hampton Roads, Virginia'.

Click here to log-in and post a new message!

Saturday, September 04, 2004

'83 Spider at Bowditch Ford

Hey All:

I stopped by to look at the "rosso" '83 Spider at Bowditch Ford on Jefferson. I wanted to get an idea of what anybody else thought of it. The salesman "Charles" told me at least three times in the twenty minutes I was there that the "President of the club" had been buy to see it along with about four others who "knew everything there was to know about...(Alfas)." The salesman said they were asking $5995. He seems to think there is a very high level of interest in the car.

Here is my impression: Fair repaint, dented right door panel (lower front), new top, new tires, water soaked carpet on driver's side, driver's seat tracks corroded, numerous emblems missing on body, wheels need refinishing, coolant tank jerry-rigged, minor oil seepage around cam cover, rear spoiler coming loose (torn) right side, no visible rust (a real plus), dash cracked, driver's map pocket broken, A/C inop (needs charge?), engine sounds smooth and started right up, idled well, second gear syncro seemed OK, however, I noticed a distinct smell of gas in the crankcase.

Anyone else's thoughts? I'm thinking the car may be worth $3800 to $4500 tops. I don't care to get into a bidding war with anyone, so if someone else really wants this car then go for it.

I am seeking everyone's valued opinion.

Ciao,
Brad

1 Comments:

Blogger Rick T. said...

Email from Tom:

You guys don't need to worry about the condition of the Spider... While I was there today a woman was very interested in the car and later on I saw her test driving it... Late this evening when Rob and I drove by the lot the car was gone. I think she bought it. She said she had talked to members of the local club and she left me with the impression that she was going to attend the next club meeting. For my part, I showed up in my Toyota right after work and stood around listening to the "experts" tell me all about "Alfa Romeros."
I think it would be important for everyone to know that "the same guy who did the Fiat engines did the Alfa engines." Could someone please tell me when Aurilio Lampredi worked for Alfa Romeo?
"These cars usually have problems with the variable valve timers. But this one doesn't look like it will have any problems." Probably because it ISN'T THERE! The entire solenoid is missing and the oil passage hasn't been plugged!
"The car has electric fuel injection built under license by Magnet Marelli..." I really have no idea why BOSCH is stamped all over the electronic fuel injection...
"The fuel injection is timed." Funny, my tech manual say it is constant flow.
The car had an Earl Scheib paint job and was in serious need of some TLC. From 20 feet away it was a nice looking car but it has some serious mechanical and cosmetic issues... For the record, the A/C did work. The car has averaged about 2200 miles a years since new. It has a few saving graces it is straight, basically rust free and Bosch fuel injected. The TLC can be lavished on a good base...
Thomas

10:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to log-in and post a new message!